Back Home Again in Indiana: Spotlight on ATMI Indy
There’s no other sporting event that’s as synonymous with its home state than the Indianapolis 500. Dubbed the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing” by a radio copywriter in 1955, the Hoosier state collectively celebrates the Indy 500. It’s a big deal – even if you aren’t a racing fan. With the 2021 race scheduled for May 30, we’re just days away from the world tuning in to what’s happening in Indianapolis. That’s why we thought it befitting to shine a light on ATMI Indy this month.
Start Your Engines: About ATMI Indy
About 30 miles due east from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a town called Greenfield. ATMI Indy calls Greenfield – approximate population 23,000 – its home. Strategically located along Interstate I-70, Greenfield is considered a prime location for businesses. This advantageous location allows ATMI Indy to serve a geographic market of approximately 250 miles from Indianapolis.
The Indy plant specializes in precast concrete wall panel construction – providing manufacturing, delivery, and installation of premium wall panels that offer a variety of insulation and exterior finish options. Demand for product exceeds 2.5 million square feet each year as customers continue to recognize the advantages of building with precast concrete panels.
While the plant began making panels in 2000, it wasn’t until 2003 that it became part of the ATMI Companies and was named ATMI Indy. As part of the ATMI Companies, ATMI Indy contributes to total fabrication of approximately 19,000 pieces and nine million square feet of product each year. ATMI Indy is dually certified as a PCI and NPCA manufacturer.
The Indy Team: A Winning Strategy
Drivers who qualify to race in the Indy 500 have an entire racing team behind them formulating a winning strategy. For example, because the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is 2.5 miles long with 4 distinct turns and straightaways, there’s a significant advantage for drivers who get out ahead of the pack early. Making less stops and saving as much fuel as possible is also part of that plan.
Similarly, ATMI Indy has a team behind them and a strategy in place in order to continue serving developers, contractors and designers with high-quality products and exceptional customer service. In fact, in the past few years the plant has undergone a slew of improvements.
The timeline below shows a significant number of new developments and how these enhancements strategically support increased demand, volume, and capacity.
- Fall 2018: We removed 3 of the original casting tables from the main facility and replaced them with one 14’ casting table and one 15’ wide casting table to allow for production of a wider product. At this time our company thickness standards had evolved to 9.5”, 10.5” and 12”.
- Winter 2018-19: We added an additional 12’ wide casting table outdoors with heat to sustain production during the winter months. This increased ATMI Indy capacity by 25%.
- Summer 2019: We started the foundations for a new state-of-the art Batch plant to further support increased capacity.
- Winter 2019: As capacity increases, so does need for storage. We purchased additional acreage from the Indianapolis Airport Authority, our neighbor to the south.
- Winter 2019-20: The new Batch plant came on line to meet demand.
- Spring 2020: We started work on our yard expansion.
- Summer 2020: The yard expansion is completed and we have no problem filling it up.
- Summer 2020: We take delivery of new MJ80 Mi-Jack Travel Lift to handle our new volume.
The Finish Line: Always Moving Forward
At the finish of the Indy 500 you’ll see the winner kissing the yard of bricks, chugging milk, and wearing a rather large wreath around their neck. And while that moment is no doubt a legendary experience for the driver, it’s not the end of the road. We feel the same way at ATMI Indy.
The past few years has brought progress and improvements that only help us build long-term and satisfying relationships with our customers. But we’re not done. Our race will never be over. While we certainly take the time to enjoy the accomplishments, our ATMI Indy team has a driver’s mentality that is always looking ahead to the next challenge.
ATMI Indy is hiring! Whether you are looking for an internship, have recently graduated, or have precast experience, we would like to hear from you. We have entry-level plant positions available. Learn more.
We’re here to support you! Planning your next project in the Indianapolis Metro Area? Contact John Gress at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to work with you!